Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cycle Memphis

This weekend was filled with bicycle rides. Two friends of mine and I woke up before the birds to drive to Rossville, TN and ride the Wolf River Cafe ride. It was hot and muggy (I heard that a few people had to abort the ride, due to becoming overheated), but the miles rolled by as I saw friends along the route. We even managed to meet a few new friends. Honestly, the ride didn't start out so great for me. From the beginning, I felt as though I was struggling to keep up with my friends. It's not a fun thing, playing catch-up. After a while, I just resigned myself to ride my own pace and enjoy the scenery - and not think about my friends having to wait on me to finish...since I drove. It was then, that I started to really enjoy myself. Also, I ended up finishing the 57 mile ride with my friends, after all!

The highlight of my day was Cycle Memphis' second ever ride. I missed the last ride due to being completely toast after a triathlon. Anyway, cyclists came out of the woodwork for an 8pm meet up and casual, 15ish mile ride. People showed up on their polo bikes, cruiser bikes, old school road bikes, mountain bikes, hybrid bikes...you name it, they were there. One of the hosts had a trailer hooked onto his bike with a huge speaker attached to his radio. So, about 80 of us were bopping down the street listening to some sweet tunes.

After the ride, people hung around and danced to the music, still playing. My favorites are they guy in the "wife beater" MFM volunteer shirt and the guy in the background who (I swear) looks like Tommy Chong. I think his actual name is Scott, but to me, he's Tommy Chong, or the Chonger...basically, whatever I fell like. :-) Can yo see him? I wish I had a better picture, with a close up of the Chonger. It's what I get for always using the camera on my phone.




If you're interested, Cycle Memphis meets the first Saturday of each month, at 8pm, around the gazebo at the corner of Cooper & Young.

No comments:

Post a Comment