Friday, September 16, 2011

Bike Rally

Recently, I attended a bike rally for (bike friendly) safe streets. Some people biked from Midtown on their lunch break for the event. I just walked a few blocks. There was a good turnout, so I'd consider the rally a success. People sported signs, some even had ghost bikes (which made me really sad). Have you heard of ghost bikes? When I first saw one, it was just after a local cyclist was hit by a car, and subsequently died from his injuries. Since, the art school is close by, I thought it was an artistic statement and tribute to that cyclist. Well, turns out, it's a national thing that started in St. Louis in 2003.

I don't necessarily agree, as I think that shared lanes are progress, but hooray for freedom of speech and us all working toward a common goal!





Ghost bike. Sad.

1 comment: