Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ringing in the New Year with Color

Yesterday, I had my second, post surgery, follow-up. It's been 4 weeks, now. When the cast came off, I was so glad to see that my arm wasn't, in fact, completely saturated with the carmel hot chocolate that I spilled on it two days prior. It did, however smell delicious - like said hot chocolate. My skin was a hot mess. Let's just say, I now know what my skin is going to look like if I make it to 80 years old.

Here's a photo of the incision after 4 weeks. It looks so much better! Although, I'd really like to thoroughly clean it and slather it with vitamin E.



After more x-rays, the doctor told me that the bones were "filling in." YAY!! It's not unheard of to have a non-union with a scaphoid bone repair. Especially, in cases when the bone has been broken for a long time (like mine...). So, when I heard this, I almost hopped off the table and gave the surgeon a kiss. The bad news was I needed to be in another hard cast for at least 2 more weeks. That's not so bad. I've learned, through this experience that:

1. I'm REALLY, REALLY, REALLY right handed.
2. Regardless of item #1, I'm pretty good at figuring out work arounds (that don't involve somone else just doing things for me).

On to the next dilemma...what cast to select? It was really a no brainer. Obviously, I went with the "cycledelic" cast!

1 comment:

  1. You haven't posted the new and improved removable cast? Did you wash up that arm last night?

    ReplyDelete