Friday, November 19, 2010

Brown Baggin' It

One of the perks of working downtown, is that sometimes there are free concerts and entertainment during lunch hours and/or after hours. In the summer, Court Square has concerts and the Center City Commission, Urban Art and Live from Memphis (I think) sponsor Alley Jams.

Today was the last of Center for Southern Folklore's Free Lunch Performances. Josh Shoe was the musician who played. He has a bluesy, country style. He was very gracious, as well. He acknowledged everyone who walked in and thanked them for coming to see him play. Quite nice, in my book!



Since, I was on my lunch break, I couldn't stay too long, but stayed long enough to listen to about 5 or 6 songs. He started off with a few old country covers. Garth Brooks and Randy Travis. It was ok, but not quite my thing. His voice was a bit whiney, which I don't care for. Then he played some of his own tunes. His voice changed; it was no longer "whiney"...it was the strangest thing. He was definitely more invested in his own music and gave himself the liberty to "let go." I even turned to my friend and said, "he should stay away from covers and only play his own music!"

It was definitely worth watching. And, it was a good way to support the local flavor, which I LOVE to do at every opportunity. If you get a chance, check him out & lemme know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment