Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Something to Think About

Today, as I was sifting through CNN.com, I stumbled upon an article: "20 Questions That Could Change Your Life"

It's an article that's from Oprah.com. Oprah, to me, is like grocery shopping. It's annoying, I loathe doing it, but often feel better afterward. That's just my opinion. No doubt, Oprah has accomplished great things and is an inspiration to many people.

Anyway, back to the questions. A few really made me think. So much so, that I wrote them down and plan on asking myself these questions on a regular basis:

3. Why worry?

These two words, considered sincerely, can radically reconfigure the landscape of your mind. Worry rarely leads to positive action; it's just painful, useless fear about hypothetical events, which scuttles happiness rather than ensuring it. Some psychologists say that by focusing on gratitude, we can shut down the part of the brain that worries. It actually works!


Since I am a professional "worrier," this question resonated with me. It's true that worrying about hypothetical negative events, is less likely to bring about positive events. It's pointless, so why do it? Focusing on the here and now, as well as, the positive things, is definitely much more healthy. I love to think that I can shut down that part of my brain that is incessantly worrying and planning for the worst.

5. How do I want the world to be different because I lived in it?

Your existence is already a factor in world history -- now, what sort of factor do you want it to be? Maybe you know you're here to create worldwide prosperity, a beautiful family, or one really excellent bagel. If your impressions are more vague, keep asking this question. Eventually you'll glimpse clearer outlines of your destiny. Live by design, not by accident.


I really love this question. Doesn't everyone want to leave their unique mark on the world? Or is that just me? How can I make a difference?

6. How do I want to be different because I lived in this world?

In small ways or large, your life will change the world -- and in small ways or large, the world will change you. What experiences do you want to have during your brief sojourn here? Make a list. Make a vision board. Make a promise. This won't control your future, but it will shape it.


Some people think that we choose our lives before we're born. It's because our soul or energetic bodies still have things to learn, so we elect a life that helps us work through our weaknesses. I really like this theory...that there is a point to our existance, apart from some divine being creating us because he/she was bored.

What important questions do you ask yourself? That is, beyond, what's for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment