Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Remembering John Lennon

Although, I missed the British invasion, I had older siblings who lived through that time. Everyone in my family adored the Beatles music and, once the Beatles split, they also enjoyed their solo music. My older brother - who is still my hero - liked Paul's music the best. I, on the other hand, have always been a John Lennon fan. He made such an impact. Not only to the music world, but also by speaking out on social issues. I've always had such great respect for him.

When I was little (beginning at 4 years old, I think), it was my job to bring in the morning paper and give it to my dad, along with a weather description. Yes, it was my job to let my dad know if he'd need rain shoes, a jacket, or overcoat. I think he saw this information on the news and just wanted me to feel important. Anyway, I remember picking up the morning paper and, even though I could only read a few words - cat, hat, etc. - I would always look at the front page and pick out words that I could read. One particular day, I opened the front page to see a picture of John Lennon. I definitely knew what he looked like, my siblings had every album by the Beatles. The title was "John Lennon Shot" - at least those where the words I knew. I recall feeling devastated. That feeling grew when I showed the paper to my brothers and sisters and saw their devastation, as well. That is a day I will never forget.



Here's one of my favorite John Lennon songs. There are so many, but alas, I haven't time to post them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment